Saturday, October 28, 2017

2017 NFL Week 8 Picks

I didn't tweet out my Thursday pick because I had no confidence in either team, but with optimism about Matt Moore after he led the comeback the previous week, I took the points with Miami. In a 40-0 game, safe to say that they fell just short of covering, so that's not going to help me in the standings after my worst week of the season and possibly ever. I think I might need a bye one of these weeks.

Last week: 5-10
Season total: 52-54

Vikings -9.5 "at" Browns (in London)

Cleveland losing their best player and franchise cornerstone Joe Thomas is a scary thought against Minnesota's fierce defense.

Panthers +2.5 at Buccaneers

Even after these teams had completely different types of games last week, I thought Carolina would be favored. Luke Kuechly clearing the concussion protocol only confirms that for me.


Saints -8.5 versus Bears

Speaking of that Panthers-Bears game, I don't think you can count on stud safety Eddie Jackson having two defensive scores again, no matter how awesome it was that he did it on the anniversary of breaking his leg to end his college career.

Falcons -4.5 at Jets

Laying this many points on the road after the way these teams have competed the last few weeks is more of a bet on talent than recent performance, but I think this is a good spot for Atlanta to get their offense in gear.

Eagles -12.5 versus 49ers

C.J. Beathard's first career start didn't go as planned, and now he's likely missing two offensive lineman against Philadelphia fearsome defensive front on the road.

Bengals -9.5 versus Colts

It sucks to see first round pick Malik Hooker tear his ACL, and the career renaissance of Rashaan Melvin is unfortunately delayed due to a concussion. Andy Dalton should feast on this shorthanded secondary.

Raiders +2.5 at Bills

Oakland's dramatic win last Thursday just might have saved their season, and with the 10 days of rest, their offense should be prepared to keep things rolling against a Buffalo defense missing some big pieces.

Chargers +7.5 at Patriots

I am still hesitant to trust New England's defense to cover a spread this large, and LA has now won three straight after their tough 0-4 start. Give me the points.

Seahawks -5.5 versus Texans

I was planning on taking a hot Houston team coming off the bye to cover, but the more I thought about a rookie quarterback playing in Seattle and the distractions of owner Bob McNair's irresponsible comments, I just couldn't do it.

Redskins +2.5 versus Cowboys

All of Washington's injuries are a concern, but I think they're a little underrated as a home 'dog against an inconsistent Dallas squad.

Steelers -3.5 at Lions

In case there was any doubt, Pittsburgh's defense proved how good they are last week. They should be able to ride that and Le'Veon Bell to victory against an inferior Detroit team, even on the road.

Chiefs -7.5 versus Broncos

Do I really have to pull up the stats about how good Andy Reid's teams are with extra time to prepare again?

No comments:

Post a Comment