Friday, January 12, 2018

2017 NFL Divisional Round Picks

Ouch. That's pretty much all I can say after going 0-4 last week due all of the underdogs covering the spread, including outright wins in both Saturday games. Maybe I overthought things like Andy Reid only giving Kareem Hunt -- the NFL's leading rusher and possible Rookie of the Year -- five carries after the first quarter despite holding a lead nearly the entire time. I'll keep things simple this week like I did during my hot close to the year instead.

Last week: 0-4
Season total: 148-112

Eagles +3 versus Falcons

I know Philly's offense is completely different with Nick Foles having to fill in for Carson Wentz, but come on. The #1 seed getting a field goal at home is taking things too far because their defensive front should be able to make up for any concerns about their inconsistent corners trying to contain Julio Jones.

Patriots -13.5 versus Titans

Although I'm still a bit in shock that Tennessee came all the way back and held onto that win last week, what I do know is that Bill Belichick won't get outcoached like that. If you want #narratives, you can count on the team getting fired up about Sam Wickhersham's report and wanting to prove any doubters wrong. You could also just take solace in the fact that Tom Brady will be relentless against this Tennessee pass defense.

Steelers -7 versus Jaguars

I will not take Blake Bortles in a road playoff game. I will not take Blake Bortles in a road playoff game. I will not take Blake Bortles in a road playoff game.

Oh, sorry I just have to keep repeating that to myself as I go back and forth on my pick. I don't want to pick on Blake, whom I've rooted for in past years on here, but he looked about as bad as you could have feared in that first playoff game as Jacksonville somehow didn't cover despite only allowing 3 points at home. I know Pittsburgh's defense has looked bad without Ryan Shazier and that Leonard Fournette ran all over them at Heinz in a game that prompted Ben Roethlisberger to (mostly) joke about retiring, but you know who else knows all that? Mike Tomlin and the Steelers coaching staff, who may not always be perfect but have shown over the years that they are pretty darn good. Joe Haden's absence in the secondary was arguably just as important during that rough defensive stretch, so having him back along with Antonio Brown on offense should carry the Steel Curtain into a rematch with the Pats.

Vikings -5 versus Saints

I don't like line moving up over the course of the week, but there's no way I'm going against Minnesota here. Both teams may have change a lot since the first edition of this game back in the first Monday Night Football game of the season, especially in the backfields with Sam Bradford, Dalvin Cook, and Adrian Peterson no long participating, but one things has remained constant: the Vikings defense is tremendous. I'm not sure there's any clear weakness New Orleans can exploit, and you could tell in last week's game how much the late injury bug has taken its toll on Sean Payton's unit. Going against Drew Brees in Case Keenum's first playoff game is a concern, but there's a reason the latter will be getting a nice pay day and offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will likely get another head coaching job, possibly from the same team.


No comments:

Post a Comment